WHO WE ARE
RADISSON HOTEL GROUP: REBRANDING A GLOBAL COMPANY
In April 2016, China-based HNA Tourism, a $36B hospitality and travel company, bought the Carlson family stake in Carlson-Rezidor across EMEA, the Americas and Asia Pacific. HNA brought on a new leadership team with the ambition of becoming a top three hospitality company in the world. To do that, the new owners and leadership developed a five-year strategic plan that identified new solutions to address the fragmented structure of the organization. A Steering Committee was appointed and the five-year plan was put into place to bring worldwide alignment under a rebranded and re-energized umbrella brand, Radisson Hotel Group.
In 2017, Wye Communications was identified as lead agency to work closely with the communications and brand marketing teams to build out all elements of the rebranded organization and successfully help launch the new company internally and externally. We’ve also continued support post launch, including:
- Managing overall planning and agency coordination around the world
- Developing a new tone of voice that signals a new feeling and attitude to guests, business partners and talent
- Writing, shooting and producing a two-minute corporate movie to launch the new brand
- Strategic counsel for launching a new culture and employer brand including developing brand journey and cultural belief videos
- Creating refreshed message houses, boilerplates and FAQs for Radisson Hotel Group, the brand promise – Every Moment Matters – the seven existing hotel brands and one new luxury collection of hotels
- Rewriting Radisson Hotel Group’s website and internal and external brochures and communications for business development, the rewards program, meeting programs and other key areas of the business
- Creating the external communications plan and executing it to target trade and consumer media leading up to and for launch day in March 2018
- Developing the internal communications plan and content that informs all level of employees around the globe about the rebranding effort, including speech writing, webcast content, checklists, etc., as well as writing annual report content
- Creating a global Executive Visibility plan including managing leadership social media channels and setting up interviews with key media and influencers
- Developing and executing a consumer influencer program for newly rebranded Radisson Rewards
- Planning and attending media dinners and press conferences for company events, as well as overall on-site event support, including at the company’s annual Americas Business Conference
- Ongoing media relations in the U.S. for corporate and consumer news (restructuring, new hires, hotel openings, etc.)
The global rebrand was a massive undertaking that met all objectives. Wyecomm delivered content and messaging to all audiences in the proper cadence so owners, team members, guests and partners were well-informed about the five-year plan. The ongoing and increasing level of partnership is a testament to our successful work. We have built trust among multiple stakeholders, direct reports and agencies across the global network.
- Launch day included a press conference attended by 55 members of the media, which resulted in on-message coverage of the rebrand and five-year plan in virtually every industry-related publication and many top-tier business publications, with 222 articles published in the first two days after launch. Coverage included cover stories in Lodging magazine and Hotels’ Investment Outlook magazine.
- Most coverage was positive and forward-looking, helping to build a sales pipeline for potential owners and business partners. C-Suite leadership was thrilled with the results.
- In April 2018, President & CEO Federico González said Radisson Hotel Group had the best first quarter results since 2007. “During the quarter we have made significant progress in the execution of the key elements of our 5-year operating plan…We see 2018 as a year of recovery, and expect revenue to grow between 4% and 5%, with an EBITDA margin between 9% and 10%.”
“We couldn’t have hoped for a better partner than Wyecomm to help us bring our new baby to the world. We worked feverishly for nine months to draw up the strategic roadmap for the launch of our new brand identity, find consensus throughout the global organization, craft and consolidate messaging for the group, brands and our leaders, and bring to life a new global vision. Wyecomm played an instrumental role in helping us deliver a successful global launch. They became an extension of our corporate communications team, diving in and delivering across multiple work streams, turning this complex assignment into success. Wyecomm is highly strategic, resourceful and passionate. They have always put our agenda and needs on top of their minds and efforts, and I am very grateful to have worked with them.”
– Renu Hanegreefs-Snehi, Former Vice President, Corporate Communications, PR & Reputation Management
SHIPBOB: BUILDING A STARTUP
ShipBob, a logistics and warehousing company focused on empowering e-commerce companies, came to us with several challenges. They had emerged from startup mode with a need to raise their profile among a variety of stakeholders – media, potential customers, current customers and investors. Additionally, one month into our engagement, ShipBob informed us they were opening a new warehouse in San Francisco and were on the verge of announcing $17.5 Million in Series B funding.
Wyecomm managed a coordinated press effort between ShipBob, Bain Capital Management and six other funding partners to announce the investment in top tier media. We developed all press materials, messaging and media trained ShipBob’s co-founders. When the announcement went live, we had articles run simultaneously in the Wall Street Journal, Chicago Tribune, Forbes, Fortune, Axios Pro Rata and Crain’s Chicago Business. In addition to the funding announcement, we wove the San Francisco warehouse opening into the key messaging for ShipBob’s co-founders, who worked it into every story. Since the funding announcement, we have managed all ShipBob’s communications efforts, including:
- Interviewing customers and writing case studies for ShipBob’s website and media efforts
- Media training additional senior executives
- Leveraging national expansion, thought leadership, corporate news and new offerings to garner news and attention and place stories and thought leadership pieces across business, trade and consumer publications
- Coordinating the opening of ShipBob’s fifth warehouse in Dallas, Texas, which resulted in 15 new clients for ShipBob as well as stories in the Dallas Morning News and Dallas Business Journal
- Building industry leadership by positioning ShipBob leadership as experts in e-commerce logistics
- Ongoing content development and vertical market media relations efforts to generate additional awareness for ShipBob
Since early 2017, we have assisted in the company’s explosive growth – 300 percent – and the company’s most successful Q’4 ever, increased new business leads (more than 500 in one day during the Dallas warehouse event in November) and supported recruiting new talent in a highly competitive technology market in Chicago.
UPTAKE: SUPPORTING VERTICAL MARKETS
In 2017, Wyecomm worked with Uptake, the fastest startup to reach a $2 Billion valuation. The company provides predictive analytics for Industrial IoT (IIoT) in eight sectors, analyzing sensor data and predicting machine failure before it happens. Uptake was a new player in a new, confusing industry with a complex ecosystem. The company worked with early partners to build its products, and Wyecomm was brought on board while the company was starting to market its Software as a Service (SaaS). The competition included the industry stalwart, GE Predix, and copycat, C3IoT.
Through our keen ability to quickly understand the industry and its issues, along with our in-the-trenches know-how and media connections, we were able to deliver 24 meaningful placements with the right messages in vertical and national publications. In addition to drafting bylines, securing contributed content and assisting with their overall media relations efforts, we supported Uptake with:
- Developing a corporate communications plan that included core messaging, general Q&A, proof point (client) stories and an Uptake glossary
- Media training the company’s executives and industrial sector SMEs
- Prepping and supporting Uptake executives and SMEs on press tours
- Supporting events, speaking and award opportunities
- Leveraging Uptake.org, the company’s philanthropic arm dedicated to developing IIoT solutions to solve some of the world’s most pressing problems, including Student Union, an educational tool to help at-risk high school seniors find a best fit for college, and ReRoute, a human trafficking tool used to capture and analyze data on the border of Nepal